I was reminded of this little problem a couple of times today. Does anyone out there have a good response to this question?
When I need a business process driven application that has a large number of users and low complexity process, where do I turn?
BPM seems overly complex, while email doesn't provide me with the control and reporting I require. Is there a toolset that fills the gap?
Should I select a point-application from a small vendor, build it myself with open source, or just build on top of a BPMS?
Looking at it from a requirements point of view:
- Complexity of process: a few steps and simple decisions
- Change process: rarely needs changing
- Number of users: 5000 (20% concurrency)
- Volume of cases: 200 new cases per day
- User interface flexibility: important
- Reliability and availability of application: important
- Security model: hierarchical
- Document storage: small number attached to cases
- Metadata: 40 attributes, many being free-text entry fields
What would you do with a request like this when the business needs an answer and a proof of concept system in under 2 weeks?